This is a delicious unbaked lemon slice recipe given to me by my husband’s grandmother Margaret. I love a lemon slice and when Margaret had filled the baking tins with this slice on a trip back home to NZ, I tried to claim more than my fair share each evening with a cup of tea.
While this recipe doesn’t fit into my (sometimes) theme of sugar free (or reduced), gluten free (and perhaps because of that!) it tastes fab and is very quick and simple to make. I get a bit sentimental about baking and sweets, so I made this slice as part of the spread my mum and I put on the day after my brother Dan and sister-in-law Kate’s wedding last month – served on my grandmother’s porcelain tea plates. To dress the slice up for the occasion, I sprinkled over some crushed freeze dried raspberries and a few sprinkles of dried lavender leaves.
- 375g can caramel condensed milk
- 375g vanilla wine biscuits, coarsely crushed (either by bashing them in a plastic bag with a rolling pin or in a kitchen blender)
- 75 g butter
- 1 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- grated zest of 1 lemmon
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups sifted icing sugar
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- 50g butter, melted
- 1/4 pistachion nuts, chopped
- 1 tbsp water, if needed
- Optional – additional decorations such as freeze dried raspberries or chopped dried lavender
Combine condensed milk, crushed biscuits, butter, 1st measure of pistachios, lemon zest and juice. Press into a 28cm by 28cm tray. Chill and wait until set.
Combine icing sugar, lemon zest, butter – add water if mixture too stiff. Beat until smooth – spread over base. Sprinkle with remaining chopped pistachios. Top with other decorations if using.